September 17, 2012

cowboy caviar

I first heard about cowboy caviar several years ago when my sister-in-law brought it to a family dinner. We all pretty much flipped out and used the "it's to die for!" Nielson catch phrase that many of our in-laws choose to tease us about. :) Then we demanded the recipe. Lately I've seen a version of it at Costco but I just can't get myself to try it when this recipe is perfection and it's so easy. Make it for your next party and get ready for some serious worshiping.
1 can shoepeg corn, drained
1 can blackeyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 large tomato, diced small
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
5 green onions, chopped
2 - 3 avocados, diced (the more the better, if you ask me!)
1 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.

A few tips: I think this is best served at room temperature and it doesn't keep very well. It's so easy though that you can throw it together in just a few minutes and I can almost guarantee that a batch won't last long enough that you'd have to store it in the refrigerator anyway. I think its optimal flavor is after it has been sitting on the counter for about 10 - 15 minutes. If you absolutely must make it ahead of time, assemble everything except the tomatoes, cilantro and avocado and add them right before serving.

9 comments:

  1. Dave brought his into work the other day, it lasted about 5 minutes! It is delicious. The fiance made a couple batches from a bootleg version of the recipe. So happy you posted the real version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS. It's delicious and perfect for any type of party or get together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A while ago I made the exact same thing, but with black beans and quinoa, and without black-eyed peas. It was delish! Makes the dish into a meal unto itself. Still ate it with chips though ; )

    Think I'm making it again tonight... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making this for our girls weekend this weekend .. thank you LIzzy! I just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making this for our girl's weekend this weekend! Thank you Lizzy I just love your blog and your recipes are always so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have written this recipe down to make it SO MANY TIMES, but never actually made it. I'm going to the store today and I'm making it this weekend. It looks so very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe - the only other one I found close to what Costco thinks is in the one they used to sell calls for one TABLEspoon of cumin. Even I'M not THAT crazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh y goodness! Amazing! I can't stop eating it. I did black beans instead of black eyed peas. Also, instead of using any oils, I just added a packet of Italian dressing powder. Mix, mix, mix....yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to eliminate spammers and internet bullies.